MATHEMATICS A GOOD BEGINNING 7th EDITION
Here is a more complete list of the 7th edition’s features that illustrate why it is such a valuable teaching tool:
- MGB has fully integrated the new Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (CCSSM) into the text and supporting activities.
- MGB includes a learning trajectory for every content chapter. Learning trajectories constitute a specific mathematics goal, the developmental path (progression) students follow to achieve that goal, and the instructional tasks necessary to facilitate students’ learning along that path (i.e., Clements & Sarama, 2009; Fuson, Caroll & Drueck, 2000). Learning trajectories are foundational to the CCSSM, and no other mathematics methods text integrates them into all content topics.
- MGB places heavy emphasis on pedagogical content knowledge (PCK) within every content chapter. Research has shown that teachers in the U.S. suffer from weak mathematical PCK (Ma, 2000), a deficiency this text will help to overcome.
- MGB makes mathematical concepts accessible and meaningful for preservice teachers who struggle to fill gaps in their content knowledge.
- MGB includes a chapter on number theory, a topic critical to the development of algebraic concepts yet missing from all other elementary mathematics methods texts.
- MGB’s computational algorithms have been reformulated to support student’s number sense, place value understanding, estimation skills, and mental mathematics.
- MGB is written using informal language that is non-threatening to pre-service teachers with math anxiety. At the same time, the authors carefully build the reader’s conceptual understanding of precise mathematical vocabulary.
- MGB provides a wealth of meaningful, standards-based activities to develop students’ conceptual understanding of important mathematical concepts.
- MGB includes a booklet of full-size reproducible Resource Sheets (RS) that support sensory input for activities that develop key mathematical concepts.The resources in this booklet can sensitize teachers to the kinds of materials that are appropriate mathematics teaching and learning aids.
- MGB incorporates the authors’ years of research on diagnosis of student misconceptions into an assessment section in every content chapter. For every major concept covered in each chapter, an explanation of students’ typical conceptual difficulties is provided.
- MGB’s authors have a wealth of experience in preparing teachers to teach mathematics, experience that has informed the content, presentation of concepts, and book length (200 pages shorter than the typical methods text).
- MGB provides a Study Guide for each chapter to help pre-service teachers gain maximum benefit from the content and to provide teacher educators with a wealth of meaningful activities they can assign for coursework.
- MGB’s authors believe that classroom teachers must recognize that they are teachers of children, as much as they are teachers of mathematics. They must know the mathematics they teach and must be competent to communicate content in a way that children can understand.
- For every content chapter, MGB presents a list of essential learning expectations that illustrates how children’s learning will progress.
- Within every content chapter, MGB Spotlights authors and articles that will help pre-service and in-service teachers enhance their knowledge.
- MGB’s companion website will keep readers informed of current topics in mathematics education.